Adopt an Agaricia Tenuifolia
"Thin Leaf Lettuce" Coral Species
About this coral species:
In sheltered waters, Agaricia tenuifolia forms irregular encrusting patches with many vertical, leaf-like blades. The corallites, which are on both sides of these blades, are arranged in meandering rows separated by irregular ridges. In places with more vigorous wave action, this coral may form spherical colonies. The color of this coral is usually pale brown, reddish-brown, or greenish-brown. the International Union for Conservation of Nature has assessed its conservation status as being “near threatened”.
Life on Zoe:
Agaricia tenuifolia (thin leaf lettuce coral) and its juvenile rainbow wrasses are up for adoption! Commonly known as thin lettuce coral, it is the most popular coral colonizing Zoe so far. This resilient coral native to the region is adapting well, fusing with the structure as it spreads out like a garden of fresh leafy lettuce on the mesh areas. Many small fish and beneficial organisms are found living and hiding within their folds, such as juvenile wrasse fish species. Transplanted fragments and young recruits have settled and made Zoe their home.
These are photosynthetic and use the sun’s energy to create nutrients that the coral is able to use and on which it relies for much of its nutritional needs. The coral also feeds at night when the polyps expand and extend their tentacles to catch the zooplankton floating past.
Thin Leaf Lettuce Coral Species Symbolic Adoption
You or your gift recipient will receive a certificate of adoption with the name you designate. This certificate will be sent along with the coral image to the email address you provided. You are symbolically adopting one of eleven unique species currently living and being planted on Zoe – A Living Sea Sculpture.
You or your gift recipient receives a print quality image of the adopted coral species on Zoe – A Living Sea Sculpture. This image will be emailed to the email address you provide.
Print your image, share it with friends on social media, or use it as your screensaver… Use your image in ways that spark joy in your world to remind you how you’re helping support the conditions for coral reefs to flourish.
Your Symbolic Coral Adoption
Your $25 coral adoption covers two restoration divers’ tanks and materials to cultivate new, healthy coral colonies.
Please Click "Submit" first, then go to "Pay Now"
About Your Adoption
90% of spending from coral adoptions goes toward paying for tanks, supplies, and on-location activities for the coral restoration team. The remaining 10% goes toward other business and administration fees and expenses. By making your purchase you acknowledge and agree to our Terms of Sale.
We send you a print-quality adoption certificate and photo of your coral by email to reduce our carbon footprint and enable you to decide how you want to use your images.
You have the choice to print, use your image as your screensaver or desktop image, share images of your adoption with family and friends on social media, and other creative ways that are meaningful to you. These images are for your personal use only and may not be reproduced for commercial use. Please see the Terms of Sale for more information.
This is a one-time symbolic adoption of a coral species currently growing on Zoe in Cozumel, Mexico. If you’d like to be a recurring monthly or annual donor at another level, please head over to our Patreon page where our monthly and annual members can sign up to receive private posts and perks from our founder Colleen Flanigan.
Photographs of corals by Zoe biologist Solène Jonveaux with “Zoe research camera” donated by Katie Garrison and Patreon members